Some time ago I needed to update my CV / resume because I was searching for a new job. When I looked at my current one created many years ago in Microsoft Word and later adapted to Open / Libre Office, I realized that it looks pretty outdated. Also it’s maintenance is time consuming – based on a big fat table, page breaks appear in unexpected places and there is no option to conditionally show or hide parts of the document, so I need to maintain multiple versions. While I guess solutions to these problems exist in LibreOffice, I wanted to solve them in non-WYSIWYG manner to gain greater control over the PDF generation process.
I styled the output after this website, which is powered by Twenty Thirteen WordPress theme. I don’t think it’s particularly pretty, but the concept is interesting. For consistent, scriptable rendering I used wkhtmltopdf, which uses WebKit a rendering engine.